BREAK WITH A PURPOSE 2018
Deadline to register is December 3rd. Please read this page carefully for important information before registering.
This year the Pres House Break With A Purpose (BWAP) trip will be to Houston, Texas. We will be doing relief work to help people in Texas rebuild from Hurricane Harvey. We will be working with Fuller Disaster Center Rebuilders. The work may include: debris removal, framing, insulation, sheet rock installation, roofing, or other projects that are needed at the time. No construction experience is necessary to be of service.
Team members will be expected to participate fully in all aspects of the trip before, during, and after. This isn’t just a chance to visit Texas over Winter Break – it is an opportunity to be changed by God and to be an agent for change in the world around us.
The purpose of BWAP 2018 is:
- To be God’s hands and feet by serving the people of Texas through local partners
- To see God at work in the aftermath of natural disaster
- To connect with diverse populations and grow in our understanding of and compassion for people of diverse identities
- To discover new ways of making God’s love real in the world and to share those with the larger Pres House community
- To grow spiritually and to deepen connections among BWAP participants
- Sunday, January 7th – Fly from Chicago to Houston, Orientation
- Monday – Friday – Work on homes in Houston area
- Saturday, January 13th – Fly from Houston to Chicago
How will we get there?
We are flying! Once the team is formed we will be booking flights from Chicago to Houston. We will have a rental van upon arrival for transportation in the Houston area.
Where will we be staying?
We will be staying at Gloria Dei Lutheran Church in bunkhouse trailers. Bathrooms, showers, and living areas are on site. Meals are provided by the hosting church.
How much will it cost?
Each participant is expected to pay a minimum of $250*; they can pay more if they are able to.
The total cost per person is $600 (travel, lodging, food, program for the week); the trip is subsidized by Pres House to keep costs low. This is made possible by the generous support of donors.
* If a participant is making their own travel arrangements to Houston, the cost of registration is $50.
** Please note that once you have applied and submitted payment, Pres House will be purchasing non-refundable plane tickets. There are no refunds and you are responsible for the cost of airfare should your plans change.
How do I reigster?
Registrations are due by Sunday, December 3rd. There are only 12 spots on this trip; receipt of a full registration form with payment reserves a spot for a participant (first come, first serve). You will be notified by December 6th if you have been accepted for the 2018 BWAP Team.
All participants are expected to:
- Attend ALL preparation/training sessions, post-trip debriefing sessions, post-trip sharing events, and any other team meetings
- Participate in being commissioned (sent with prayer) in a worship service at Pres House
- Participate in reporting back to Pres House about the trip upon return
- Wholeheartedly cooperate with the Team Leader and other participants
- Work diligently on the project and strive to show a servant attitude in all aspects of the trip
Please speak with Pastor Mark BEFORE signing up for the trip if you have questions or concerns about any of these expectations
- Registration Deadline: Sunday, December 3rd, 2017
- Team Commissioning at Worship Service: Sunday, December 10th 4:30 PM
- Team Training Meeting: Sunday, December 10th, 7:00 – 8:00 PM
- Team sharing in Worship Service: Sunday, January 28th, 4:00-6:30 PM
How do I apply?
Before you start the registration process, make sure you have:
- Health insurance information
- Date of your last tetanus shot
Ready? Click here to register. Registration is not considered complete until Pres House has received your full payment.