Each year students at Pres House take at least one service/learning trip called a Break With a Purpose. We have traveled to:
- Gulfport, Mississippi to do Hurricane Katrina relief with Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
- Chicago to do urban service with DOOR ministry
- Kentucky to rebuild homes with Appalachia Service Project
- Arkansas to live and learn at Heifer Ranch
- Pine Ridge American Indian Reservation in South Dakota to build and learn with Re-Member
- Washington D.C. on a student designed trip that engaged us in a variety of service and learning experiences. Check out the video.
- Joplin, MO to do tornado relief. See a news story about the Pres House team.
- Alabama (Birmingham, Selma and Montgomery) to learn about race relations and serve with Christian Service Mission. Check out the video. Listen to reflections from some of the team members who went on the trip here.
- Staten Island New York to do relief and re-building work from Hurricane Sandy. Check out the video.
- Chicago to partner with the Center for Faith and Service at McCormick Seminary and learn about issues of gun violence, poverty, racism and more.
- St. Louis for the Taize Pilgramage of Trust in St. Louis in late May 2017 to pray, reflect, and learn about racial justice and healing.
Each trip changes us and opens our eyes to God at work in the world in new ways. We are considering where God is calling us for our next Break With a Purpose in 2018. Stay tuned for more details! Interested in long-term service/learning opportunities? Consider a year-long internship with our Badger Faith a Service internship program or ongoing service opportunities.