The community at Pres House believes that service to God and our community is part of our faithful response to God’s love for us and our neighbors. Students at Pres House serve each other and Pres House through leadership; serve the local community at food pantries and other local agencies; and take Break with a Purpose trips to learn and serve communities around the country. Join us in making a difference!
Break With A Purpose – January 7-13th, 2018
We will be traveling to Houston, Texas to help with relief efforts from Hurricane Harvey. Space is limited and spots are on a first come, first serve basis. Deadline to register is December 3rd.
Starting with our Welcome Back-Pack event in the fall we aim to serve and care for our neighbors in Madison and the surrounding community.
Grace Episcopal Food Pantry
Volunteer to help run the food pantry at Grace Episcopal Church on Saturday mornings during the semester.
Saturdays, 9am – Noon: February 10th, March 10th, April 14th
Contact: Jessica Prom
Two+ (Deacons) ~ Day/Time TBA
“Where two or more are gathered, I am there with them…” (Matthew 18:20)
At Pres House we practice connecting, knowing, and supporting one another to bear witness to Christ’s grace in our community. We do this through acts of encouragement and compassion, seeking to remind those in need that they are not alone. Join us to pray, write cards, deliver meals, and more as we engage in acts of love in service to the community.
Audio Visual Volunteers
Pres House is in need of Audio Visual (AV) volunteers for Worship on Sundays and some Thursday rehearsals. There are two ways to help: 1) Run slides on powerpoint – this job is easy and a quick learn and vitally important to worship. 2) Mix Sound for Worship -you will run sound for the worship band and anyone who speaks. This has a bigger learning curve, however, we have a user friendly sound board and system! You need an ear for music and a love of technology. Training will be provided. Contact Natalie for more info!
Sign up here to help “set” or “clear” the table on one or more Sundays; it’s easy and makes our family time much more enjoyable for all!
Pres House is a host site for the UW-Madison chapter of Campus Kitchen. Student volunteers reclaim unused food from dining halls and make it into new meals for students on campus who are food-insecure.Have another idea for a local service project you want to lead or get involved in? Let us know!
Break With a Purpose
Many years students at Pres House go on a service/learning trip called a Break With a Purpose. We have traveled to:
- Gulfport, Mississippi to do Hurricane Katrina relief with Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
- Chicago to do urban service with DOOR ministry
- Kentucky to rebuild homes with Appalachia Service Project
- Arkansas to live and learn at Heifer Ranch
- Pine Ridge American Indian Reservation in South Dakota to build and learn with Re-Member
- Washington D.C. on a student designed trip that engaged us in a variety of service and learning experiences. Check out the video.
- Joplin, MO to do tornado relief. See a news story about the Pres House team.
- Alabama (Birmingham, Selma and Montgomery) to learn about race relations and serve with Christian Service Mission. Check out the video. Listen to reflections from some of the team members who went on the trip here.
- Staten Island New York to do relief and re-building work from Hurricane Sandy. Check out the video.
- Chicago to partner with the Center for Faith and Service at McCormick Seminary and learn about issues of gun violence, poverty, racism and more.
- St. Louis for the Taize Pilgramage of Trust in St. Louis in late May 2017 to pray, reflect, and learn about racial justice and healing.